Automobile Engineering: This sub-branch of Mechanical Engineering deals with the automobile sector which manufactures two/three/four wheelers & commercial vehicles. Automobile engineer possesses typical and enhanced knowledge related to engines, fuel systems, and chassis. He also has a mechanical background with parameters like production, design, quality control & management science. He develops skill in the testing of engines, the difference in diesel & petrol engines. He also possesses knowledge about pollution control, maintenance of vehicles, and repair of engine assembly, etc. The variety of different vehicles with modern technology such as vehicles on CNG, electric vehicles, hybrid cars is a prominent one.
Automobile Engineering industry: A growing sector in India
The Indian automobile industry is one of the fastest growing industries under the ambit of the Indian economy. According to Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturer (SIAM 2015), India is the seventh largest producer in the world with an average annual production of 17.5 million vehicles. The country is also the fourth largest automotive market by volume. Automobile sector contributes 7% of the country’s GDP by volume. The industry is growing and evolving at a brisk pace. As per industry estimates, the sector is expected to sell 6 million plus vehicles by 2020.
The government is also coming up with automotive mission plan-2 which aims to make India a global leader in two and four wheeler segment by 2020. Also, the “Make in India” campaign brings a high level of confidence among the domestic as well as global investors in this vibrant sector also.
Fast facts about the Indian Automobile Industry:
- 7thlargest automobile producer in the world
- Production of 17.5 million vehicles annually
- 4thlargest automotive market by volume
- 89 percent growth rate in exports.
- New automotive mission plan-2(2016-26)
- ‘Make in India campaign’ – focusing on building India a ‘manufacturing hub’
Thus, there are a lot of opportunities for the new generation of automobile engineers. The industry needs enthusiast engineers, who have fresh, distinct and innovative ideas for the production of more and more such sophisticated machines. There is a bright career for Automobile Engineer in the future.
- The department is well equipped with equipments & facilities related to Automobile Engineering
- The department is organizing workshops, In-plant – training, industrial visits, guest lecture by eminent personalities in automobile sector & esteem organizations like Tata Motors
- The department is having highly qualified & experienced staff on its role.
- The department has well-equipped laboratories in the following subjects :
- Vehicle Layout & Transmission System
- Heat Power Engineering
- Automobile Engines
- Automobile Systems and Body Engineering
- Automotive Electrical & Electronic Systems
- Automobile Air Conditioning
- Two Wheeler Technology
- Advanced Automobile Engines
- Vehicle System Maintenance
Automobile industry requires huge numbers of engineers to tap the untapped spaces domestically and overseas. The industry has increased international penetration besides meeting the advancing domestic demands. Since the industrial expansion is phenomenal, automobile engineering is seen as a promising career option among the young aspirants.
The industry offers a multiplicity of roles for skilled professionals. Some of the job roles are as follows:
- Designing, development, and manufacturing of vehicles
- Preparing blueprint of the vehicle and its components
- Using traditional as well as most advanced technologies to engineer vehicles
- Working as maintenance and services engineers in automobile workshops, aircraft industries, aviation, marine vessels, and diesel power stations
- Automobile Technicians: These technicians are generally responsible for servicing, repairing and overall maintenance of vehicles.
- Automobile Designers: These designers are responsible for working on shape, size, etc. of vehicles. Every feature of the car requires an expert designer to design it.
- Executive and Managerial Positions
- Entrepreneur: start his own business in the service industry of automobiles
- Government Job: In Government Organisations like RTO, ARAI
- Research and consultancy in Automobile Engineering